Dave's Daily

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Year's Weekend Wrap Up

Wow... It's a new year already... 2005 seems to have just flown by without stopping, although I'm sure there are a lot of people glad to see 2005 go, especially if you live in the Gulf of Mexico region.

Last Friday, Dec. 30th, I took off another day from work to give myself another four-day weekend. We all went to the local mall for a bit, and after not being able to take the kids' whining any longer, we headed home (they hate shopping - unless it's for their stuff). My wife later went to the grocery store to pick up a few items for our New Year's party. She also made a few of the things she was going to serve the next night too. My son was asked by a friend from school to go to the local college men's basketball game and then spend the night afterwards, so he was gone that night. So, after putting our daughter to bed, my wife and I watched Star Wars Episode III. She hadn't seen it yet, so it was a fun movie night for us. :-)

Saturday, my wife did a little bit more grocery shopping and picked up our son from his friend's house. I also dusted and vacuumed the house to get ready for the party. After all the cleaning and preparing was done, we took it easy in the afternoon. At 7:00PM our guests started to arrive. We had only invited two other couples and their kids over, so it was a quaint little gathering. We had fingerfoods and enjoyed the company. After eating we all gathered around and played a game of Uno Attack. It's similar to regular Uno, except you have this device that may or may mot spit out extra cards at you when you push it's button. It was a lot of fun and my wife won the game. We got done playing about 11:45 PM, just enough time to get around the TV and watch the ball drop in New York. It's amazing how many people gather in Times Square. I wonder how hard it is to get to a porta potty if you need one? Of course, we all kissed our mates at the stroke of Midnight and then our guests headed home shortly afterwards.

Sunday morning, our church just had one 10 AM service instead of the regular two morning services, so that made it nice not to have to get up too early since we stayed up so late the night before. After lunch, I watched a little football. I was hoping that the Steelers would lose so the Chiefs (who played a awesome game) would make the playoffs... But, it was not to be. :-( We were going to take down our Christmas tree and decorations, but we were all still too tired, so we left all that stuff for the next day.

I had Monday off as a regular holiday. My wife first mentioned about going off to a mall a couple of hours away, but it was a gloomy day and I really didn't feel like driving that far, and besides, we had to get the Christmas tree and stuff put away, so that's what we did. It took a good part of the morning getting all that stuff done. We also cleaned and rearranged stuff in the workroom to give us more room in there. Looks nice in there for now! :-)

Tonight, we're going to a funeral visitation for a lady from our church. She was 70 years old, and fought a good fight against cancer. She worked part time at the church as a receptionist and was a really nice lady. Her funeral is tomorrow morning. I can only take comfort knowing that she is finally at peace and rest in the arms of the Lord.

Blessings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home