Dave's Daily

Monday, January 01, 2007

2006 Year End Wrapup

2006 is all but gone. It has been a pretty good year overall. We had a nice Christmas Eve service at church and afterwards our little family went out to eat at Country Kitchen which was one of only a few places open that night. They were pretty busy, and understaffed, and it took forever to get our food. We found out later from the waitress that the cooks lost our ticket. We were going to drive around and look at some Christmas lights, but by then, we were getting tired, the kids were getting cranky, so we just went home. We read the Christmas story in the Bible, then my son read "The Night Before Christmas." Then the kids got the milk and cookies ready for Santa and we got them to bed.

Christmas morning is always a lot of fun as we all open our presents. I got some clothes (as usual) and a couple of music CDs along with a Best Buy gift card (yes!!). My kids got me the best gifts though... My wife took them to this craft place and they created some ceramic masterpieces for me. My daughter painted up a little hippo. She painted it to match the stuffed hippo she's had since she was a baby. My son painted up a Kansas City Chiefs football helmet which is also a coin bank. After you paint the objects, this place will fire them up for you. They are pretty cool. After we did our little family Christmas thing and ate breakfast, we headed up to my sister's house for the big family gathering.

We ate lots of food, played some video games and opened presents. One of my nephews got a Nintendo Wii and so I got to try out the bowling game which was pretty cool. I also got to "premiere" my son and I's latest Lego Star Wars "movie." It was Episode II of our "trilogy" called "Midnight." The kids seemed to like it anyway. :-) It's out on all the Internet video sites (well, the major ones anyway) so be sure to look for it. You know you want to. LOL!

The day after Christmas we took a little trip down to the third largest city in our state for a little get-a-way. We got a hotel with an indoor pool which was nice as we were the only ones using it at the time. So basically we had a "private pool" which was really cool. We did a little shopping the next day at the big mall there in town. I took the kids around to let my wife do some shopping by herself. We went into a video game store and lo and behold, they had a few Playstation 3 systems in stock. My son wanted me to get one, but I didn't want to haul the thing back home and if something was wrong with it, it would be a pain to take back. So we didn't get one. I did by a PS2 video game though even thought I don't own a PS2, but did so in anticipation of getting a PS3. :-)

Thurs., Dec. 28th we cleaned up the house as one of my sister-in-laws and her husband were going to be spending the weekend with us. That morning though, I dropped off the car to get some body work done on it. A trim piece was coming loose and causing some scraping problems on the front panel. It was some warranty work, so no cost to us! After lunch my son and I went out to do a little more shopping. We had some gift cards and Christmas cash to spend. :-) We first went to Target, but no PS3... So, I bought an iPod Nano (4Gig) instead. Our CD player in the car isn't working so well, so we've decided to get an iPod and FM transmitter to take the place of it. After Target, we headed to Best Buy (gotta use that gift card!). No PS3's there either, but I did pick up the iPod FM transmitter and a case for the iPod. In one last ditch effort, we went to the EB Games store in the mall. On the way there, my son was depressed and said, "They aren't going to have any... they still haven't fulfilled all the pre-orders yet." I said, "Don't be so defeated before you even get in there..." Well, what do you know... They had FIVE (5) PS3 systems in stock. Wow! My son about went crazy and was jumping all over me to get one (well, almost jumping). He was very spastic about it anyway... So we walked up to the counter and asked for one. I was afraid for my life walking through the mall and out in the parking lot to my car carrying that thing. They didn't put it in a bag or anything, so I was hoping and praying that no one would mug me for it. :-) We got home safely! We got it all hooked up and was able to play some of the PS2 games we had already bought. I don't have a HDTV (yet!), so we've having to play the games in standard def, but I'm ready for when we do get one. :-)

We had a nice visit with my sister and brother in law and New Year's Eve we had lots of munches and stayed up as late as we could. Some fireworks went off at midnight in our neighborhood which was pretty cool.

Happy New Year and God Bless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home