Dave's Daily

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Vacation Wrapup

As promised, here is a little overview of our little family get away vacation....

Last Tuesday, I took off work to stay with the kids so my lovely wife could go out of town shopping with a good friend. She left at 9:00am and didn't get back home until almost 6:00pm. The funny thing was, that they didn't really find anything at the mall out of town. They came back to our mall and found gobs of stuff on sale. Imagine that. My son went over to a friends house just about all day, so it was just me and my daughter, which was pretty nice as I didn't have to entertain both kids all day. I don't know how my wife does it. :-)

My parents came down Tuesday afternoon to try to help me put up our satelite dish. We worked on it for a couple of hours, but didn't have much success in locating the satelite signal.

Wednesday after lunch, we packed up the car and headed out of town for our little vacation. Got to our destination about 4:00pm. The hotel lobby was packed full of people, so I had to wait almost 20-30 minutes before getting checked in. We went ahead and just went to dinner and then got changed to go swimming. This hotel had an indoor water park (which was why we picked this hotel to start with). It had two large hot tubs, a toddler area, a lazy river, and a huge complex to climb in with water slides and a huge bucket on top that filled with water and then dumped it ever so often on the crowd below.

On Thursday, we went to a Belgin Waffle House restaurant for "brunch" and then headed for the "Family Fun Park," which had go-karts, kiddie rides, mini-golf, bumper-boats, etc. We spent a couple of hours there just goofing off. My 3-year old daughter had a blast doing mini-golf (it was her first time trying it). They had a huge go-kart track, but my son wasn't tall enough to drive his own kart, so we did a two seater with me driving. They had another track that my son could drive on, so he did that one. Before we left, he also did the bumper-boats. Each boat had the ability to squirt water at another boat too. At the end of the ride, my son didn't wait for the worker to secure the boat before he tried to get out of it. It of course moved on him, he lost his balance, and he fell out of it and in to the water. I was first afraid that he would have hit his head on the side of the pool, but he was okay but overly embarrassed and soaked. Thankfully, we had our suitcases with us and got him a change of clothes.

After all that, we headed to a local fish hatchery located below a dam. It was really neat to see how they raised all those fish for stocking the area lakes and streams. Then we headed to the next town for our next night's stay.

At the next town, after checking in to our hotel, we headed out to dinner. We had picked a steak house we had been to before which was really good. When we got there, there was a sign outside the building that said "For Sale or Lease" and there was no one there... Oh great! Now where do we go? We came across a T.G.I.Friday's and stopped there. The atmoshpere was a little too "lively" and the music a little too loud and it was making my wife pretty upset. She wanted to leave, and she couldn't find anything she really wanted on the menu. We ended up staying, and she ordered a steak which turned out really good. Got done with dinner, headed back to the hotel and did some more swimming in their indoor pool.

The next morning, we had the hotel's "deluxe breakfast," which wasn't too bad actually, and then we headed out for the day. We went to a Bass Pro Shop's Zooquarium which had a lot of really neat displays. Even got to see a rare albino alligator. After that, we went over to the actual Bass Pro Shop and picked up a cast iron skillet for the next time we go camping (either that or my wife wanted one for bopping me over the head with...). After a lunch at McDonald's, we headed for the big local mall (which is way bigger than our local mall). My wife hit the major stores, but didn't really find too much. On the way home, we stopped at a Mexican place for dinner which was really good, even though the kids didn't want to eat anything they had to offer (typical....). We got home about 9:00pm Friday night, unpacked, and crashed.

Over the weekend, on Saturday we didn't really do awhole lot. Sunday after church we met my folks, some cousins, my uncle and my grandmother to celebrate her 93rd birthday (which was actually on Friday). We all went out to eat, then went back to my uncle's house for ice cream and cake. My folks and us then went to church and afterwards, they came over to our house to work on that stupid satelite thing again. We finally locked on to a signal, but it ended up being the wrong one. We never could get the right one, so we gave up after it got too dark. If I can't get it working soon, I guess I'll have to hire a professional to do it. Ugh.

Back at work on Monday, I had over 1200 emails to go through... I think I'm subscribed to too many mailing lists... ha!

Blessings!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home