Dave's Daily

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Mission 1 Complete

Recently I started volunteering for my state's government archives. My first project was to transcribe a section of the 1940 death certificate index for our state. They sent me 50 pages containing approx. 2500 names to enter into an Excel spreadsheet. I worked on it for about an hour each day (not including weekends and vacations) and it took me about two months to finish. I finished it today and sent it off to them. Of course, with this type of work, it is never ever actually finished, so they've asked me if I'd like to work on another section of 2500 names. Sure, send them on! At least I'll get a couple days break until the new packet arrives... Pop the cork! :-)

Blessings!

2 Comments:

  • That's an interesting project...why specifically 1940? I'll bet you must run across some interesting situations and names...maybe JFK's in there...

    By Blogger Owen, at 2:40 PM  

  • 1940 was the year that the state archives were working on. I was sent a packet with the names "Grous" through "Hillimann" (it was about 2500 names worth). I didn't really see any famous names, but I did see a few situations where you could tell if families died in an accident or something by seeing the death date being the same for them.

    Just got Mission #2 in the mail. I'm now to transcribe a group of 'Mc' names from 1934...

    By Blogger VideoGuy, at 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home